Thursday, September 1, 2011

Apple-wood Smoked Boston Butt








































Prep process: 8 lb Bone-In Boston Butt

I started the prep process by spraying the Butt with a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar & Black Label Jack Daniels (1/2 cup of each in my spray bottle).  I keep it wet for 60-90 minutes, spraying frequently.

The Dry Rub Mixture:
I like to try different dry rubs and this rub was different from all my previous.  Mix all the ingredients, below, in a mixing bowl.  You can put a light coat of Yellow Mustard all over the Butt to help hold the dry rub or not, your choice.  Apply the dry rub all over the Butt.

2 Tbsp Coarse Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Chipolte Chile Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (2 if you prefer a little more bite)

After the dry rub has been applied, I let the Butt sit at room temp for a couple hours.  After that time, I wrap it with Saran Wrap and then Aluminum Foil and place in refrigerator overnight.

Next, I remove the Butt from the fridge and let it sit at room temp for at least 2 hours before I put it on the smoker.  You don't want the meat to be cold when it goes on the cooker.  The final piece of the dry rub is now layering on 1 Cup of brown sugar (light or dark) all over the Butt just before you place it on/in the smoker.

I cooked this piece for 9 hours over indirect heat and kept my smoker at 250 degrees (225 - 275 will be fine).  I used a few large pieces of Applewood during the cooking process as it give pork a nice flavor.  Lastly, I continue to use my Apple Cider Vinegar & Jack Daniels spray, about every 90 mins, to keep the Butt moist.  I cooked this Butt to 180 - 185 degrees internal temp and it pulled apart, with a fork, very nicely.  I do let the meat rest for 30 minutes before I pull it apart.  It was so good that most people didn't want BBQ sauce on theirs, your call.

Cheers and bon appétit...





1 comment:

  1. 200* internal temp is what it takes for the collegen to release. The meat pulls super easy. Good recipe.

    ReplyDelete