Sunday, December 25, 2011
Beef Wellington with Mushroom Pate'
Above: 20 - 25 mins in 375 oven. 130 degrees internal temp with instant read thermometer. It produced a very nice med-rare. If you prefer your Wellington more done, cook a few minutes longer and then use an instant read thermometer to see if it's reached your preferred doneness.
Beef Wellington: (This recipe used 4 fillets.)
4 Beef Fillets, cut into 6oz, 8oz or 10oz portions. Your call.
1 box Puff Pastry Shells (thawed)
1 Tbsp Half & Half
1) Salt & paper the fillets to taste. I use a little kosher salt & black pepper.
2) Mix egg and half & half in a bowl (sit aside)
3) Spread a little flour on the counter. Take one pastry shell and roll it out thin.
4) Spoon 2 or 3 spoons of the pate' on the shell and then place the fillet atop the pate'.
5) Next, bring the shell up on all sides of the fillet so as to wrap the fillet smoothly.
6) Using the egg mixture, brush on the shell where you're wrapping the fillet. It will seal/hold the edges.
7) Next, brush a light coat of the egg mixture over the entire pastry, glossy finish.
8) Place the wrapped fillet on your baking sheet (spray baking sheet so the shells don't stick) with the pastry shell seams down.
9) Repeat 1-8 for remaining fillets.
Above: 4 Wellingtons resting after the cooking process. The meat is beef fillet cut into 6, 8 or 10 oz steaks. Whatever you prefer.
Above: Wellington w/ Mushroom Pate' wrapped in Puff Pastry Shell.
Below: Mushroom Pate'
Ingredients / Cooking Instructions:
4 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp finely diced shallots
8oz finely diced mushrooms (I used Baby Bella.)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1) Melt butter over med heat and then add the shallots. Reduce heat a little if necessary so the shallots do not brown. Stir constantly for 5 minutes.
2) Add the finely diced mushrooms to the mixture and mix well. Over med-low heat, continue cooking the mixture for 10-12 minutes. Stir frequently.
3) Next, add the 2 Tbsp of flour and coat the mixture, stir for 2-3 minutes.
4) Now, add the cup of heavy whipping cream. Mix thoroughly and bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low/simmer.
5) Remove from heat, add salt & lemon juice, mix and then let the mixture cool to a warm touch.