Monday, July 19, 2010

'06 Summit Lake Zinfandel, Howell Mountain AVA




06 Summit Lake Zinfandel (Howell Mountain AVA), $19 here in Middle Tennessee.
Big dark fruit on the nose. I definitely got the blackberry & black cherry. The mid palate was a smoky oak and leather, to me. The finish was nice with a hint of pepper. Upon first opening the wine, it was a little tight. After 30 minutes in my decanter, it became more balanced and I thought it had good structure. I paired this wine with our handmade pizza that had sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, mozzarella and red sauce. The wine was great with the pizza. Personally, I prefer a Red Zin with a hint of that peppery finish. I've been trying more Red Zins lately as they seem to pair well with many different foods. It's a wine that you can bring out on, say, Thanksgiving Day and it pairs well with all the different flavors of that season. I will drink this wine again and share it with my friends. Cheers to all...

No comments:

Post a Comment