Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Valpolicella & Chicken Thighs with White BBQ Sauce















This is a recipe that is definitely in my Top 10 of "go-to" for the grille. I have decided that I just don't care for white meat chicken; therefore, chicken thighs. I put a light coat of EVOO on the thighs to start. The rub consists of: dried thyme, cumin, paprika, onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper & dried oregano. I apply the rub and let the chicken stay at room temp for at least one hour. I always want what's going on the grille at room temp so that it cooks evenly. I grille the thighs, 20-25 mins on each side (fat side up first), with the grill surface temp at 325-350 degrees.  

 

1 Tbsp dried Thyme
1 Tbsp dried Oregano
1 Tbsp ground Cumin
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

This is enough rub for 8 - 10 chicken thighs

 

As for the potatoes, I found this recipe on a wine blog that I follow. "Balsamic Potatoes" I cubed about 6 new, medium sized, new red potatoes. They cooked in balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, black pepper, crushed garlic cloves and chicken broth. About 50 mins @ 425 degrees in the oven. Just keep an eye on them.

 

White BBQ Sauce

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp coarse ground black pepper
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp horseradish

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate all day before cooking.  Sauce will last up to a week in an airtight container.

 

Now, most importantly, the vino. And vino it is tonight, Valpolicella from Veneto, Italy. Veneto is Northwest of Venice. This wine is a blend of three varietals. I've been drinking Valpolicella for a few years and I love it. It has nice fruit and tannin balance. This wine was a little bing cherry on the nose, possibly a hint of blueberry. This wine was nicely balanced, not tannic but with a nice finish. The mid-palate seemed to be plum or maybe raisin, to me anyway. I thought it paired well with the chicken, homemade white bbq sauce and balsamic potatoes. 

 

Happy Fall to all. Cheers...



No comments:

Post a Comment