Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pan Seared Beef Fillet

The idea to prepare the beef fillet came from an episode of Hell’s Kitchen several months ago. I’ve cooked the fillet, using this method inside the house, and it’s just too much smoke. So, I made a small change to the process.
I put a light coat of EVOO on the fillet and then apply the seasonings. Afterwards, I let them sit for 2 hours to get to room temp. At cooking time, I put the skillet in the oven on 500 to get it smoking hot. While this is getting hot, I get my gas grille to 500 and light the side burner. Now, everything is ready... Take the skillet out of the oven and put it on the side burner of my grille on high heat. I drop in 2 TBSP of butter and as soon as it’s all but melted I put the steaks in the skillet. I cook them 3 mins on each side, only turning once. It’s a lot of heat and smoke but trust it...... After the 3 mins on each side, now I move them to the 500 degree grill and cook for 5 to 6 additional mins on “each” side, again, turning only once. The fillets I cook are usually 8 - 10 oz each and this cooking process will deliver a very nice “med-rare” fillet. The searing of the outside in the butter & hot skillet is the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment