Tuesday, June 29, 2010

St. Louis Style Ribs


Prepping St. Louis style pork ribs, from Tag'z 5 Star Meats, for tomorrow evening's smoking. Smoking one rack for Just-a-Pinch. They're an on-line recipe club based in Franklin, TN. They'll be on Fox 17 News, Nashville @ 6:30AM, July 2nd with several "July 4th" recipes. http://www.justapinch.com


Dry Rub:


1/4 cpaprika
1 Tbspblack pepper, fine
1 Tbspkosher salt
1 Tbspchili powder
3/4 Tbspgarlic powder
3/4 Tbsponion powder
1/4 tspcayenne pepper

Mix the above 7 ingredients together.  Afterwards, apply a generous coat of dark brown sugar over the meaty side of the rib.  Wrap in saran wrap and then aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.





I start out with the ribs (2 full racks) on a cookie sheet, or the like, and keep them wet with Apple Cider Vinegar & Orange Juice for about 2 or 3 hours. I use an inexpensive spray bottle and just keep spraying them intermittently during this time.
2
 During the time you're keeping them wet with the vinegar, go ahead and mix the rub ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3
 Afterwards, I'll lightly coat both sides of the ribs with pulp free orange juice.
4
 Next, I apply basic Yellow Mustard, lightly, to both sides of the slab/s.
5
 Lastly, I apply the "rib rub" (see ingredients above) evenly to both sides of the slab, the extra on the meat side.
6
 Now, it's time to wrap them in aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. I keep them in the fridge for 12 - 18 hours.
7
 Cooking day:
Take the ribs out of the fridge at least two full hours before you plan to put them on the cooker/smoker. They need to be at room temperature before placing in/on the cooker/smoker.  I prefer to smoke them with Applewood or Pecan.
I like to smoke the ribs at a temp no higher than 220 degrees F. "Low & Slow"
8
 I'll cook the ribs for about 90 mins, not turning nor opening the cooker. You can spray the ribs with the Apple Cider Vinegar while they cook, if you wish, to help keep them moist.
9
 Then, I'll take them out and wrap them in aluminum foil for the next 90 mins.
10
 At the 3 hour mark, I'll remove the foil and cook the remaining time. Based on your temp, it'll take another 1 - 3 hours. When you start to see the rib bone exposed from the meat about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, you're getting close. I insert a toothpick between the meat and the bone. When the toothpick will push, easily, the full length of the toothpick down into the meat, you're very close to done.
11
 Note: If I'm cooking a rack wet, then I'll start to apply the sauce during the last hour or so of cooking. I don't mind if the sugar in the sauces blackens just a smidge.....

No comments:

Post a Comment